Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Where R U With Salsa?

To many, once you salsa, you get addicted and there’s no turning back. Kind of like falling in love I think. So here is my version of the phases of love with salsa. Kindly let me know if you agree, and if you do, which phase you are in!

1st Date

The first date is a tricky one. Sometimes you’re forced to go. Other times you just want to try something different. Most of the times, you’ve heard about it and wanted to check it out for yourself. At this stage, you’re still forming your opinion so Ms(or Mr) Salsa is still a vaguely shapeless entity you’re not sure you’re into. But if you definitely not into, you’ll know at this stage too and stop here.

Casual Dating

If you decided to go on a second date, that means you ‘sort of’ like what you tried. But you can still live without salsa just yet ;P. You are not in love enough to miss it. And fairly confident it’s nothing more than an evening fling you can live without. This period may last a few dates or as long as a few years… a platonic relationship that’s slowly but surely developing further. Little do you realize that you are nearing the Event Horizon (in astronomy terms, the point of no return; the line in the Black Hole when no object can escape being sucked in)

The Whirlwind Romance

This is the stage when you’ve fallen hook, line and sinker. You’re intoxicated. Like a whirlwind romance, you can’t get enough of each other. You think about it all the time, start to organize your life around it and can’t imagine not having it. Your salsa antics – if translated to a human relationship – would be like a couple madly in love.

The Stable Couple

The initial passion and excitement of a new relationship has come to an end… and you have now settled into a comfortable, cozy twosome. Your object of desire is now a big & regular part of your life you still can’t live without but now it’s fixed as a routine pattern already. This stage can go on forever, like a couple co-habiting, or can progress to The Married Couple.

The Married Couple

At this point, you’ve decided to live with salsa, for rich or poor, in sickness & in health. It has become so integral to your life that when people remind you how good you are, you go “huh?” having taken for granted how long you’ve devoted yourself to it and how much you’ve grown. Usually this stage are the people who are so devoted they took up teaching, performing, administrating, organizing festivals or some sort of salsa legwork with all its mundane stuff like taking care of the bills etc just like a married couple.

The Married Couple with Kids

Like a Mr & Mrs, you and salsa continue to grow together, still learning something new each day. Only this time, you have to divide time screaming after kids who won’t listen to you ;-P. It can be a tiring job raising kids and the only reward is to see them grow.


Can you relate to that? If so, which stage of the relationship are you at?

13 comments:

Nim said...

Me? I think I'm in the middle of a "on again off again" relationship - albeit a stable one ;-)

Nim

Anonymous said...

I'd say I am more of a "Stable Couple". I love Salsa .. I'd like to do ti everyday if I can. But I can't. And sometimes, I won't.

Unknown said...

guess.. that leaves me married to Fai with a whole bunch of kids.. more than i can ever have in 1 lifetime.. but they are all GREAT kids. I wont trade them for smth else. - jeamie

Anonymous said...

J ... that's not what Nimmala meant la. Anyway ... it's good to know you feel 'married'. Hahahaha !

Nim said...

I've elaborated the Married Couple category coz i think it fits the likes of James & Audrey, Lin, Ethan etc and on our side IMHO; Jacques for the endless performance practices, Tamie for doing the boring paperwork no one else would touch with a 10-foot pole and Tim for the avalance of IT salsa-related work & webmaster duties no one else can match ;-)
Nim

Unknown said...

so you mean... i am not married? phewwwwwww ..bachelors and salseros out there... I am still available!! cool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nim for your kind words and for comprehending my work. Although I do admit there are times when I felt the 10-foot pole is about to get much longer...

fai said...

hmmm.... i think i would be in stable couple stage... I wish it was true for my real social life tho... ahahaha... But hey, it means i still get to go through the nice whirlwind romance stage right?... i mean thats the nicest part r of it all man! = )
I remember when i was bitten by the salsa love bug, DAMN those were amazing dancing nights!

Unknown said...

Wow... right now I think I am in the stable partner stage. I remember my first date. I made sure I got my introducer to tell Jeamie to go easy, as I have two left feet. Jeamie, full of confidence just brushed it aside saying not to worry...

Then came the casual dating stage, where I enjoyed what I was able to do, meeting new friends, learning new things, and best of all, a nice routine on Fridays...

Then came the whirlwind romance stage, which coincidentally happened at the same time my real life relationship ended. That period, I have to say, Salsa saved my life. It was something I could hang on to, something I knew would happen every Friday, even if I lost everything else. SalsaJay kept me sane.

That, well, as well as a Perfect Grade Strike Gundam model kit that took me 2 months to put together.
:)

And now, the stable relationship stage. Once again, coinciding with another life changing event in my real life. And also, once again, SalsaJay is right here, saving me.
I havent had the chance to write a trip report for our Singapore trip yet, and I was going to do it there, but I would like to take this opportunity to say it here.

Michael, Steph, Wilson, Rachel, Tony, Laney, Angela, Terence, Jana, Jeamie, you are the best friends one could ever hope for. Words are totally insufficient to describe my thanks and gratitude for the support and care you have given me. I really love you all, and hope that we will ALL be dancing till we are old and grey.

Pip said...

Being a newbie and all, i think i'm madly falling in love with mr salsa =).. taking every chance to meet hehe.. like nim put it, can't get enough of each other.. always feel excited to meet each other :p

Nim said...

Derek,
So touching! You should write that in another blog entry like "How Salsa changed My Life/ Helped Me" or something. Nice to be assured again of the power of salsa.

Unknown said...

Derek,

I'll be a great listener and will always be there for you. Cheerio.

Mandy said...

Hi...I think I'm in phase three. I started to learn salsa around 1 year ago, learned cuban style first. After mastering all the variations, I started to learn L.A. style (this style's really challenging) & also Colombian style. I've never considered myself as a salsa freak before, but now I spend one third of my salary to hire the best salsa instructor in my country to teach me. Hopefully, I'll be able to dance smoothly & nicely. One thing for sure, Salsa helps me growing my confidence doing something in front of public!!!