Friday, March 09, 2007

Salsa Away From Home - Korea

It's that time of week again where we bring you another installment of WHERE'S TONY? In this episode, Tony was spotted in the northern Hemisphere. A country famous for Teakwan-Do, Kim-chi and ... Salsa?

Tony: As promised to Jeamie, I braved the snow, very low temperature (-3C) n slippery road to go out tonite in search of the best salsa in Seoul.

I managed to find a few and check the place out. I found the place from this website http://www.nicerent.com/mn_entertainment/salsa.asp

I do not need to search far as the first one, Bahia is the best salsa place on earth which I have visited so far. It is situated in front of Hongdae (short for Hong Ik University). Bahia is named after a town in Brasil and it is under the basement of a shop haus. From outside I tot there is nothing happening as there r no music.

But to my shock after I pay the 5,000won and as I walk into the place, the whole place was packed like sardine. I think minimum about 150 ppl is inside and easily about 50 couples are dancing the bachata. The place is about 1 1/2 times salsa havana but with the whole middle of the room clear of table n chair, the dance floor are big. Only a few stools are available at the side of the room. Other than that everyone are either standing or dancing.

Do not believe what the website say, this place is definitely not for beginner and the faint hearted. The lady came in their best salsa costume and men are not bad at all. This is all amid the freezing temperature outside. Inside all those overcoat and jacket is the shortest skirt (for ladies) and hairiest chest (for men).

Jeamie, you are wrong. Who say in Korea, salseros are more than salseras? Definitely he/she has not been to Bahia. Men still outnumbered woman. Due to this, i was INVITED to dance the whole nite. My fellow species out there, salseras in Bahia are really the aggressive one. We are the one who is being hunted down. I could not keep track of how many ladies I have dance with. Maybe 11 but m not sure. I was drown in the middle of the dance floor with salsa music. I keep dancing from salsa, bachata to even merengue.

To my fellow salseras too, pls do not be disappointed. If you are a great fan of Bae Young Jun, Ju Jihun, Rain and etc, you will love this place. They are everywhere. If I am gay I will be here everynite.

I have attached a picture of myself in front of the Bahia club. I broke all traditions as I have included one of the most gorgeous lady 2nite into it. Her name is Nancy. Anyway I will try to check out another club tomorrow if time permits.

So come and visit KOREA.



General Information

Bahia is the latest bar in hongdea area. When you reach there, fist you can hear the sound making by the shoes and wood floor. It is very well known as salsa bar for beginners. There are more than 60 rare Latin discs the owner bought when he travelled abroad. Salsa lesson for beginner is taking every Tuesday( 8:00 pm).

Open hours : 7:00 pm ~ 1:00 am, / 7:00 pm ~4:00 am (Fri, Sat )/ Close on Monday.

Admission fee : 3,000 won (including a drink)
Beverage : 3,000 ~ 10,000 won

Website : www.bahia.co.kr

Way to Bahia : get off the Hongik Univ. station, exit no. 6, there’s the LG palace building. Behind building, you can see the ‘Bahia’ sign with picture of coconut tree.
Tel : 02 335 1512

As we conclude this adventure of Tony, where will he head to next? Stay tuned to find out in our next episode of ... Where's Tony?



No comments: